For areas of Los Angeles County that are anticipated to experience below-freezing temperatures this week, a cold weather alert has been issued.
Officials predicted that temperatures in Lancaster, Mt. Wilson, Pomona, the Santa Clara Valley, and Woodland Hills would fall below 32 degrees this week and continue to do so through Friday.
“Children, the elderly, and people with disabilities or special medical needs are especially vulnerable during cold weather,” In a statement released on Sunday, L.A. County’s health officer, Dr. Muntu Davis, said. “They should be protected from the cold when they are outside by taking extra precautions.”
In Lancaster and Mount, freezing temperatures are anticipated. Wilson starting on Monday and running through Friday. In the Santa Clarita Valley and in Pomona and Woodland Hills, similar weather is expected to start on Tuesday and Wednesday, respectively.
Public health officials are advising residents of those areas to check on friends and family members who may have limited mobility or access to heat, as well as to dress in layers of warm clothing if they plan to go outside, protect their head, hands, and feet, and wear warm clothing. Additionally, pets should spend the night inside.
For assistance or to sign up for the Winter Shelter Program, unhoused people are urged to get in touch with the Los Angeles Homeless Services Authority. Online at www.lahsa.org or by calling 211, more information is accessible.
“There are places where people can go to stay warm, such as shelters or other public facilities,” Davis said.
Long-term exposure to cold temperatures can cause hypothermia, which has early signs like shivering, fatigue, and confusion. Those who are exposed to snow run the risk of developing frostbite.
Public health officials recommended gently warming those who had those conditions while seeking immediate medical attention.
As residents use riskier methods to heat their homes, Davis cautioned that there is also an increased risk of carbon monoxide poisoning.
Only approved sources, such as fireplaces and heaters powered by electricity or natural gas, are advised.
“We also want to remind people not to use stoves, barbecues or ovens to heat their homes due to the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning,” he said.